It is the dream of many TEFL teachers to come to the United States and to live in New York City. Well, if you can think it, you can do it. At least, this is my philosophy. Would you, indeed, want to live here? Read about the eleven signs that will prove that you were destined to be right here in New York City.
1. Crowds don't scare you. From a packed elevator, a subway so full you can barely find a pole to grab onto to Times Square at 5:00 pm on a day just before Christmas, you move right ahead into the masses.
2. If you could avoid driving a car for weeks, months or, even years at a time, you'd be happy. You don’t need a car in New York City. In fact, a car would be a burden.
3. Paying a small fortune on rent is totally worth it if it means you can walk to amazing restaurants, look at awe-inspiring, gigantic buildings around you, and quickly access the city's great cultural institutions.
4. The idea of residing within a mile of thousands of people creating art, innovating their industries and developing new ideas excites you more than it stresses you out.
5. You wouldn't mind sleeping in a tiny bedroom, because you plan on being outside exploring the greatest city in the world during your waking hours anyway.
6. You always want to be running off to a show, exhibit, party, restaurant or experience.
7. You consider backyards an inconvenience and would rather spend your outdoor time at a public park.
8. You have no problems sleeping through sirens, ragers and noise-making babies.
9. You've got style in spades.
10. Bars closing at 2:00 am—or even worse, at midnight—is just too early for you. You don't even leave the house until 11:00 pm.
11. Whenever you see an award-winning play, eat a great meal or go anywhere else in a different city, you can't help but think, "I bet New York would do this better."